Dumbbells happen to be an integral part of any workout. However, it might be a problem if you don’t know the correct way to use them. But you have nothing to worry about, as Apollo Fitness has curated a list of dumbbell exercises that you can inculcate in your workout routine.
Top dumbbell exercises for your workout
Dumbbells let you build even more strength in the pectoral area. A quality dumbbell bench press will spruce up your triceps.
The key concept to follow with dumbbell exercises is to squeeze at the top of the movement. This will make sure that the muscles you are focusing on remain active and engaged.
Here’s how you can execute a dumbbell bench press:
- Lie back on a bench and hold a dumbbell in both the hands
- Bend your arms to the side of each shoulder, and your palms should face in an upward direction
- Extend your elbows as you press the weights above the chest
- Continue till your arms are straight above your chest
- Don’t touch the weights to one another
- Bring the weights back down just past shoulder level, and you can repeat
It is one of the most common weight exercises, and it works a host of bicep and triceps muscles. Throughout this movement, ensure that you keep your back straight and your upper body controlled.
This dumbbell workout is purely about isolated control, and you can do it easily at home. To perform a dumbbell bicep curl effectively, you can follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Stand upright and hold a dumbbell in both the hands
- Each arm should be hanging by the sides
- Keep your elbows close to the torso, and your palms should be facing outward
- Do not move your upper arms as you curl the weights to the level of the shoulder
- Contract your biceps and exhale as you do it
- Get back to the starting position and repeat the steps
Strong shoulders are a plus for this dumbbell exercise. While the shoulder press mainly focuses on two portions of the deltoids, it also works a wealth of other muscles like your triceps, trapezius, and rotator cuff muscles.
These structures have to work in conjunction with your shoulders for this exercise to show effects. Here is a step by step guide for you:
- Stand upright, holding a pair of dumbbells
- The dumbbells should be more or less even with your shoulders, and your arms should be slightly bent
- Keep your palms in such a way that they are facing towards the body
- Press upward and twist your wrists so that your palms are facing forward by the time you reach the top
- Lift the weights over your shoulders directly until your arms are straight
- Lower it down and repeat
You can always use a dumbbell while performing regular sit-ups or complex jack-knives. You can do this version by following the steps that we will be sharing with you:
- Lie on the back and raise your legs so that they point upwards
- Keep your arms straight as you hold a dumbbell over the chest
- Crunch upward and raise the dumbbell towards your feet
- Keep your legs straight and try not to arch your back as you lower your legs down
- Don’t lift your back as you lower your legs
- Lower your head at the same time and extend your legs upward once again
We hope that you’ll include these dumbbell exercises when you work out next. If there is anything else that you would like to know, get in touch with Apollo Fitness.